Thursday, July 7
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Friday:
1. MINNESOTA GOVERNOR CALLS FOR JUSTICE DEPARTMENT PROBE INTO POLICE SHOOTING OF BLACK MAN
"Would this have happened if those passengers would have been white? I don't think it would have," Democrat Mark Dayton says following Philando Castile's slaying during a traffic stop.
2. HOW COMMUNITIES REACT TO POLICE SHOOTINGS OF BLACK MEN
Some African-Americans say recent deaths point to deep-seeded racism, and some fear it may never change.
3. WHO URGES POLICE TO ROOT OUT BIAS
Obama says frequent shootings of blacks and Hispanics by law enforcers are symptoms of a "broader set of racial disparities" in the justice system.
4. STATE DEPARTMENT REOPENS CLINTON EMAILS PROBE
"We will aim to be as expeditious as possible, but we will not put artificial deadlines on the process," spokesman John Kirby tells The AP.
5. TRUMP COURTS, JABS, ANXIOUS REPUBLICANS
The billionaire makes it clear during meetings with congressional leaders he won't change his brash tone, blaming the media for stumbles that continue to alarm GOP leaders.
6. WHY OBAMA TRAVELS TO POLAND
The president is due to attend a summit of NATO allies in Warsaw, which will be dominated by discussion of the impact of Britain's decision to leave the EU on trans-Atlantic ties.
7. ATTACK ON SHIITE SHRINE KILLS 26 IN BAGHDAD
It comes amid mounting protests and anger over the security situation in Iraq at the site of a massive truck bombing by the Islamic State group earlier this week in the capital.
8. UK ON COURSE TO GET SECOND FEMALE PM
Conservative lawmakers choose Home Secretary Theresa May and Energy Minister Andrea Leadsom to fight a runoff contest for leadership of the country's governing party.
9. TRIPLE SUNRISES, SUNSETS AT THIS STRANGE NEW WORLD
Scientists reveal that they've found a huge exoplanet which has not one, not two, but three suns.
10. WHICH TEAM IS HEADED BACK TO SOCCER'S ELITE
Antoine Griezmann scores both goals to give France a 2-0 win over world champion Germany and a place in the European Championship final against Portugal.